Thursday, March 24, 2011

Texas should keep the death penalty !

In a post by Helene Burns who introduced herself as a murder victim she talks about why she disagrees with the death penalty. In her personal experience, she describes how she wanted to request death penalty for her dad but it was so much easier to request a sentence of life. According to her, over time she became educated about capital cases in which mistakes were made and she came to believe that the death penalty is wrong. I disagree with her view about the death penalty. Although I am aware of the mistakes that were made and innocent lives were lost but that doesn’t mean the death penalty itself is necessarily wrong. There is no doubt that in some cases our criminal justice system make mistakes and that needs to be fixed but I believe that certain horrific crimes deserve the death penalty. In this article she says that the death penalty only serves to create more victims but that is only if the criminal justice system is not working. The solution to that isn’t to simply stop the death penalty but rather to fix the judiciary system and make sure that no innocent person is executed. When I hear in news that a group of men attacked a family and raped and killed every single one of the family members, I don’t want the murders to be able to even live in our prisons. She is right about the mistake can’t be corrected by executing the murders but it will send a clear message that barbaric actions will not be tolerated. Maybe that will give the potential murders a second thought before killing their victims. Then she goes into how we would save millions of dollars by utilizing permanent imprisonment as opposed to the death penalty. If this is a true statement, which I doubt, I would like to know the exact cost to execute a person. Would it really be more than the cost of housing and feeding a murderer for decades? If yes, then we should reform our death penalty procedures. In my opinion Texas should keep the death penalty but reforms its justice criminal system. The economy of Texas would definitely need some extra money but this is not the way to get money as she says in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment